In a report issued by the NSO (National Statistics Office) it is reported that an outbound tourist trips in March were estimated at 22,674, an increase of 18.4 per cent when compared to the corresponding month last year.
Outbound trips to EU destinations were estimated at 19,145, an increase of 2,473 trips when compared to the corresponding month last year. A further 3,529 trips headed towards Non-EU destinations. The UK and Italy resulted to be the most popular outbound destinations.
The 18.4 per cent increase in outbound tourist trips is in part attributable to an earlier Easter holiday season, compared to last year. The majority of outbound tourists were males; yet in absolute terms, female tourists recorded a larger increase.
During the first quarter, outbound passengers were estimated at 57,497, up by 9 per cent when compared to the previous year. An estimated 85 per cent of outbound tourists chose to visit EU destinations. The most visited countries were UK and Italy.
The largest proportion of outbound tourists fell within the 25-44 age bracket, followed by those in the 45-64 age group. Furthermore, in absolute terms, a significant increase was recorded in the 0-24 age group.
Further analysis of outbound tourists for the first quarter reveals that 69 per cent resided in collective accommodation, with the remaining 31 per cent making use of private accommodation. The average length of stay was 7.1 nights and varied by type of accommodation The average length of stay in private accommodation was estimated at 10.5 nights, while that in collective accommodation, stood at 5.6 nights.
As expected, the majority of outbound trips during this period were undertaken for holiday purposes. The total expenditure on outbound journeys during the quarter under review was estimated at €56.5 million, equivalent to €983 per person.
- 20.7% increase in outbound tourist trips
by MaltaMedia News -16 May 2013
- 23.5% increase in outbound tourist trips in June
by MaltaMedia News -12 August 2010
- Outbound tourism on the rise- NSO
by MaltaMedia News -15 February 2013
- Video: Outbound tourism increases in September
by MaltaMedia News -12 November 2010
- NSO: More Maltese travel abroad in June
by MaltaMedia News -17 August 2012