Three persons were confirmed dead and another two reportedly seriously injured in an explosion that occurred at a fireworks factory close to Għarb at around 18:10 CEST on Sunday.
Eyewitnesses said three powerful explosions were heard coming from the direction of the fireworks factory situated in the area of Toni tal-Gharb. A large mushroom-shaped cloud of smoke was also seen over the site soon afterwards. The explosions were heard over a wide area.
This was the fifth explosion involving a fireworks factory this year. One man died in a massive explosion at the Mosta fireworks factory in August, while two people died in an explosion at St Sebastian fireworks factory near Qormi in February and another man died in a similar blast at the Marsaxlokk fireworks factory in May. However, there were no injuries in an explosion at a Gharghurs fireworks factory in April.
- Fifth victim of Gozo fireworks factory explosion
by MaltaMedia News -7 September 2010
- Video: Fireworks factory explosion claims 6th victim
by MaltaMedia News -8 September 2010
- Fourth person dead in Gozo fireworks tragedy
by MaltaMedia News -6 September 2010
- Video: One dead, others missing in Mosta fireworks factory explosion
by MaltaMedia News -13 August 2010
- Updated: Gharb fireworks factory explosion, fourth victim found
by MaltaMedia News -4 November 2012