Tourstat data for April 2011 have shown that the number of inbound tourists increased by 21.3 per cent when compared to the corresponding month in 2010.
The total nights spent during the same period has also increased by 6.0 per cent.
The report published by the National Statistics Office (NSO) reveal that inbound tourists were estimated at 121,947, most of whom were holidaymakers, albeit a notable increase observed in those travelling for business purposes.
The overall, first-time visitors accounted for 72 per cent of total inbound tourists, an increase of 24 per cent over last year.
NSO confirmed that the majority of tourists came from the UK and Italy while a notable increase was noted in the French and German markets. Results showed that the largest share of tourists visiting Malta stayed for a period of at least seven nights; however an increase of 48 per cent was registered for short stays of up to 3 nights.
Total nights spent during April were estimated at 790,613, up by 6 per cent when compared to 2010. Increases were also recorded in collective accommodation establishments. Guest nights spent in hotel accommodation advanced by 27 per cent, while total nights spent in private accommodation decreased by 16 per cent. The average length of stay of these tourists was estimated at 6.5 nights, down by 0.9 of a night when compared to April last year.
Inbound tourists totalled 351,955, up by 23 per cent when compared to 2010. Both EU and Non-EU inbound trips registered upward changes and were estimated at 294,956 and 56,999 respectively.
NSO also noted that increases were noted in the number of both package and non-package trips. The former made up 57 per cent of the total, while the remaining 43 per cent were non-package trips. The average length of stay for this period stood at 7.3 nights, down by 0.4 of a night over
Male passengers outnumbered females and totalled 196,124. An increase of 30 per cent was noted in the number of male tourists, while females were up by 15 per cent. The majority of inbound tourists fell within the 45-64 year-old age group. These were followed by the 25-44 age bracket. A substantial increase was also noted in the number of tourists under 25 years of age.
Total nights spent during this period were estimated at 2,571,465, up by 16 per cent over last year. In absolute terms, the majority of guest nights were spent in collective accommodation. However in percentage terms, a substantial increase was also noted in the number of tourists residing in private accommodation.
Total tourist expenditure for the first four months this year was estimated at €249.4 million, up by 16 per cent over 2010. Increases were recorded throughout all expenditure categories, while the largest increase was noted in package expenditure. Per capita expenditure stood at €709, 5 per cent less than 2010.
- Inbound tourism increases by over 17 per cent
by MaltaMedia News -31 August 2010
- Tourist arrivals increase slightly- NSO
by MaltaMedia News -1 August 2011
- Tourist arrivals decrease by 17.6% in May
by MaltaMedia News -30 June 2009
- Inbound tourists by mid-year up by 11 per cent
by MaltaMedia News -3 August 2010
- 15% increase in number of tourists in September
by MaltaMedia News -3 November 2010