Energy drinks must be consumed with caution in view of their nature and their high caffeine content the Superintendent of Public Health warned on Friday.
The superintendent said that these drinks should not be consumed by children, pregnant women, and other vulnerable groups and should not be mixed with alcohol.
This warning came in view of international media reports that the family of a 14-year-old in the United States is suing the manufacturer of Monster energy drink as the post-mortem allegedly concluded that she died of cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity.
This product is also traded in Malta however no adverse events were reported and no alerts were raised in the European Union.
- Sedqa clarifies risks of energy drinks
by MaltaMedia News -21 August 2009
- Health inspectorate destroys 48tons of food and drinks
by MaltaMedia News -3 September 2010
- Public advised not to consume Irish pork and bacon products
by MaltaMedia News -8 December 2008
- Virgin premium quality Drinks special offer
by MaltaMedia News -11 November 2008
- Environmental Health Directorate warns against kids’ beverage
by MaltaMedia News -24 July 2013