The Health Department said the MMR vaccine is safe and should continue to be administered to children.
In reaction to media reports in the wake of a judgement in an Italian court, the department said the bad impression on the MMR jab had started from a study published in the medical journal The Lancet in 1998 .The study however had been proven to be scientifically wrong and a fraud and the journal itself withdrew it.
Since then, many more studies had been conducted and no links had been found between MMR and autism. The World Health Organisation and medical authorities throughout the world continued to strongly recommend the use of the vaccine.
The department reminded of the serious consequences which could be caused by mumps, measles and rubella, which the MMR jab prevented.
- Everyone encouraged to take flu vaccine
by MaltaMedia News -28 December 2010
- Influenza vaccine available for free from Monday
by MaltaMedia News -20 November 2010
- Health Department explains Mater Dei bedding issue
by MaltaMedia News -25 February 2012
- Video: Swine flu vaccine now in Malta
by MaltaMedia News -29 December 2009
- Department of Health issues precautionary warning on Chinese products
by MaltaMedia News -10 October 2008