Muscat was co-opted to the House after MP Joseph Cuschieri vacated his seat on Monday.
Prime Minister Lawrence Gonzi moved the motion to co-opt Muscat and was seconded by Labour deputy leader Anglu Farrugia. The motion was approved unanimously by all parliamentarians.
The Prime Minister augured that him and Muscat will work together in the national interest.
Dr Muscat was then sworn in as Leader of the Opposition by President Eddie Fenech Adami in a brief ceremony.
- Parliament officially nominates George Abela as the new President of Malta
by MaltaMedia News -1 April 2009
- Charles Mangion resigns from Opposition Leader
by MaltaMedia News -30 September 2008
- ‘Government wrongly calculated utilities surcharge’ – Joseph Muscat
by MaltaMedia News -30 November 2008
- PL leader sworn in as new prime minister
by MaltaMedia News -11 March 2013
- Opposition’s divorce motion to be discussed next week
by MaltaMedia News -16 February 2011