Investigations carried out by the Police, with the assistance of the Special Enforcement branch of the Wild Birds Regulation Unit, have been initiated following the 23rd October incident involving the shooting of protected eagles. These investigations led to the disclosure of five cases involving illegal possession and disposal of protected birds.
So far a total of 114 stuffed protected bird specimens were seized from five individuals. Investigations also unearthed the illegal disposal of 251 protected bird specimens.
All offenders are being prosecuted.
Four further cases involving suspected illegal possession and disposal of stuffed protected birds are being investigated.
- Police confiscate 98 stuffed birds
by MaltaMedia News -31 January 2009
- Shot protected birds doubled this autumn – BirdLife
by MaltaMedia News -16 November 2012
- Five protected birds shot down in two days
by MaltaMedia News -25 April 2011
- Protected birds killed at the start of the New Year
by MaltaMedia News -5 January 2010
- CABS discovers carcasses of protected migrant birds
by MaltaMedia News -14 September 2011